Thursday, May 10, 2012

It's Not All Black and White...


"I designed the books' covers so it wouldn't be conspicuous for anyone who was reading them...
that backfired on me, didn't it?" -E.L. James


No... Fifty Shades of Grey is definitely not black and white. But it has caused a massive sensation among women (and a few men, too). The trilogy (Fifty Shades of Grey, Fifty Shades Darker, Fifty Shades Freed) written by British author E.L. James, is a romance about Christian Grey, a young, very wealthy entrepreneur, and Anastasia Steele, a girl about to graduate from college. When they meet, the spark is undeniable, and from that moment, you are wrapped up in everything that has to do with Christian and Anastasia.
While it is definitely not prize-winning writing in terms of technicality, it's good enough to keep you turning the pages faster than you care to admit. And the material itself is, well... you have to see for yourself. I read the books over my spring break, and I finished all three in three days. I'd go to bed at 3 am reading because I just couldn't put the books down.

But why?

Meeting E.L. James at the Biltmore Hotel
Well, I was lucky enough to attend a discussion event a few Sundays ago where the author, E.L. James, was present. And this question was brought up several times. Women all over the United States are reading this book... It has quickly become the topic du jour on many people's lips. But why have women become so affected by this book? Some would say it's the sex (there's a lot of it), others would say it's the taboo nature of the topic (BDSM), others still would say it's the love story.

I am by no means an expert on the topic, but I'd like to share my own opinions on this. I believe the books have been a hit for many reasons. I myself have shared it with numerous friends of mine, including my mom (crazy, I know), coworkers, and girlfriends. And this is how the word is getting out... women are sharing with one another.

1. This was stated at the discussion with the author... Women have been given a new VOICE. Because we are discussing literature, we can discuss a topic usually reserved for our conversations with our "inner goddess". Sex is not usually a topic women discuss with too many people. But this book has made it a lot easier to discuss things you wouldn't have discussed before. And because you've read the book, you know that the others reading the book find this exciting... not wrong. Therefore making you more willing to discuss it with them, because you know they will NOT be judging you.

My signed copy of Book 1
2. It has improved relationships. As much as we hate to admit it, over time, intimacy with our partners becomes a little, shall we say, lackluster. This book created a whole fantasy world in our heads that we could later translate into our own bedrooms. Not that I'm going to let myself be tied to the ceiling and locked up in handcuffs, but it has gotten women thinking about what they would be willing to try. It has also started conversations between spouses. And sometimes, just talking about it can be a bigger plus than actually doing it.

3. At it's heart, it is a true love story. Sure, there are parts where you want to kill Mr. Grey... He's arrogant for sure. But as his character develops, you start to develop feelings for him. And at the same time, you are rooting for Anastasia. And later in the book, you are rooting for them both. You want it to work. You want them to work because, well, if they don't work, in a story, then who can work, in real life? I try to compare all love stories with classics... Pretty Woman is a Cinderella story, things like that. This book? Beauty and the Beast, for sure.

It was a great read... something that didn't require me to think too much and something that made me feel something. I know the book has critics all over the place, but there are so many fans as well. I guess that's usually the case with controversial writing/movies/music. Anyway, that's just my two cents on why this book has been such a hit. :)





Laters Baby,  ;) 
Jen

P.S. Feel free to give me your take on the book in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment