Tuesday, May 3, 2011

A Special Request

My Abito & I on his birthday in March.


So this post is a little emotional for me. No recipe today, sorry.  I don't even know how to go about this... This post is about a very very special man in my life. My grandfather.  His name is Pedro, but I call him Abito.  He's the sweetest, most wonderful man in the world, and he's so special to me. He's the kind of grandfather I can call in the middle of the day, tell him that my car needs fixing, and he'll get it fixed for me, no questions asked.  He loves us all unconditionally, even if we don't always show our complete appreciation for him. He's got everything a girl could ever ask for... brains, a heart, faith, and everything else. Good things come in small packages, right?  ;)  He's my "viejo" (That's "old man" in Spanish for all my non-Spanish speaking followers).

Last year, just around this time, my grandfather had surgery to remove a cancerous tumor from his bladder.  He underwent a pretty major surgery and subsequently had to use a colostomy bag and an ostemy bag. He then underwent a more minor surgery a few months later to reverse the colostomy. He's had a great recovery and after having lost a ton of weight and not looking like himself, was finally back to being my "viejo". He was cleared for his 6-month check up and everything was roses, right?

Wrong. At the one year check up, they found that the cancer was back, in his abdominal area.  Surgery can't fix it, so there were not really a whole lot of options. Just today, he had a port put in and next Monday, May 9, my grandfather will begin chemotherapy.  It's no big deal, right? That's what I keep telling myself. Except, it is a big deal. It's HUGE. This is my grandfather. As much as I want to keep positive, and I want to just blow it off and pretend it will all be okay, I know the odds. And I know that because of his age, there are a lot of things that can go wrong. Things can go right, too.  But I guess our minds always stray towards the worst case scenario huh?

I don't even know why I'm writing this. I guess I want to document the way I'm feeling. I'm not looking for pity - I can find that in a million other places. I guess what I really want from you, my wonderful readers, is prayers. As many as you can give, as often as you can give them. I truly believe in the power of prayer, and I know that the more people we have praying for him and asking the big guy for help, the better his chances will be.

Thanks in advance...

Lots of love,

Jen

3 comments:

  1. Jenise, just want to tell you i too believe in the power of prayer and i also believe God watches over us in the good and the bad times. He does not abandon his faithful children. I will pray for him to give you and your fmily peace and strength through these tough times. Its really hard to see the ones we love in pain, but i know God is watching over all of you. Your grandfather and family will be in my prayers. Much love always.

    Annie <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen,

    I know the emotional rollercoaster which you might be going through right now (I seem to have been riding it for many years now). Always remember that Tio is a tough cookie, just like my mom. I actually sat and listened to them both talking the other night. My mom was trying to calm his anxiety by explaining how everything was going to be. They are great supporters of one and another. She loves chatting with him because he always gives her strength to keep fighting. You will see that he too will have that strength to overcome this obstacle which has been presented to him. His faith will guide him.

    I love you and I am always here for you! Please do not hesitate to call me.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to both of you Annies. :)

    Prima, I am so glad to know that they continue to support one another. I know you've been through this a million times, and I know your mom is always in my prayers. Thank you. Love you tons.

    xoxo

    Jenise

    ReplyDelete