Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Alfredo Pasta with Chicken and Italian Sausage

So I'm going to admit something...

I use store bought sauces! Ahhh, there I said it!

On my cooking "bucket list" several items are sauces, and a lot of times, for simple sauces, I make them myself. Pesto, for example, is one I absolutely do not buy - it tastes sooo much better from scratch. But whenever I make pasta it is usually because I'm not in the mood to work too hard. Today was one of those days.  I'm pretty sure that making alfredo sauce from scratch will do one of two things. 1) Make me never want to eat alfredo sauce again because I will know just how fattening it is (that happened to me with hollandaise sauce :(  So sad.) 2) Make me never want to eat store bought alfredo sauce because it is so good.
So one day, soon, I will make my own.  But for today's recipe, I let myself off easy and went with something that wouldn't make me work too hard. <b></b> So if you consider yourself a sauce snob, either stop reading here or find yourself a recipe for alfredo sauce from scratch and throw it together, substituting it for the store-bought one I include.

I was looking through my freezer and found some Italian sausages, so I decided to add those into the mix.  I enjoyed it, but it might not be something that everyone likes. You can sub the sausage for shrimp, or you can cut it out altogether if you want. Either way, the recipe was delish, and Eddie might as well have licked his plate clean (always a great sign, right?).

Alfredo Pasta with Chicken and Italian Sausage







Ingredients
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 links Italian sausage
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 cup chicken broth
1 tbsp chopped parsley
1 1/2 cup Rotini pasta
1 jar alfredo sauce
chopped parsley, for garnish (optional)

Cook pasta according to package directions. Once ready, set aside.
In a large saute pan, heat olive oil.  Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper, place in pan, along with sausage links. Once chicken has become golden on one side, flip over, adding the chicken broth to the pan (this keeps everything very juicy).  Add the mushrooms and parsley.  Turn the sausage links periodically so that they cook through.
Once the chicken and sausages are cooked, remove from heat and cut into strips. Add the mushrooms, chicken and sausages to the cooked pasta. In the same pan where you cooked the chicken, pour the alfredo sauce until just boiling.
Serve the pasta mixture and pour the warmed alfredo sauce over it, garnishing with parsely. Enjoy!

Xoxo, 
Jen

1 comment:

  1. I have a "cheat" alfredo sauce that is easier on the fat as well as the time. (I also have the OMG did I just eat that version).
    Will share soon Cod Girl ;p (<3 the blog!)

    ReplyDelete