Saturday, August 13, 2011

Couscous Salad with Roasted Chicken

Just because I've decided not to focus TOTALLY on food doesn't mean I won't talk about food at all! I have several recipes stored with their corresponding photos and I really do want to share them with you!

Lately I've been on quite a couscous kick. It's so easy to make, you can add more or less whatever you want to it, and it doesn't make you feel like you ate a loaf of Cuban bread when you're done. When I was looking for a simple weeknight meal, I found this recipe. So I hit up my grocery store and picked up a whole rotisserie chicken, chopped it up, and made this delicious meal for dinner. It doesn't require a whole lot of explaining, and it's VERY simple if you pick up the cooked chicken on your way home.  Of course, if you want to be a show-off, you can season and roast your own chicken, too. ;)  I was not feeling that ambitious on this particular day.

I didn't think Eddie would like it too much, since it is a simple, one-dish meal - no sides or anything. But he loved it! And I hope you will too!

Couscous Salad with Roasted Chicken
Makes 4 servings






Ingredients
1/3 cup uncooked couscous (I used whole wheat)
1 1/2 cups chopped roasted chicken breast
1 cup halved grape tomatoes
1 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
4 green onions, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions
1. Prepare couscous according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Fluff couscous with a fork.
2. Combine couscous, chicken, tomatoes, parsley, mint, onions, and garlic in a large bowl. Set aside.
3. Combine lemon juice, olive oil, and salt in a small bowl; stir well with a whisk. Pour dressing over couscous mixture; toss gently.

Recipe adapted from:  Cooking Light: Fresh Food Fast Weeknight Meals

Enjoy!

Xoxo,

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment