Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Jack of all trades, Master of none?

So it seems as if every week I find something else I enjoy and at which I could become much greater. There are just so many things I enjoy. I have huge dreams. Some I might achieve, some might be a flailing attempt... But I have promised myself that even if it is flailing, I WILL make the attempt.

Teaching is my first love, and what puts the money in the bank account regularly (even if it isn't much). But on my list of things are to be a published author and to expand my photography portfolio. Writing has been a love of mine for a long time. I remember scribbling notes and poems on any scrap of paper I could ever find, and writing short stories on my parents' old desktop. That's where blogging came about. A place to express myself, to make my thoughts heard, and to hone my skills.  My hopes are that I can one day write a book and get it published (I've actually already written a children's alphabet book and illustrated it, but no publishing yet).

As for photography, I've always thought of it as "just a hobby." I've taken maternity photos for friends, or friends' children, photographed parties, and as always, at school. But it was never something I made money off of.   So imagine my surprise when a friend recommended me for a paying job this past weekend! It was an engagement party, and I absolutely LOVED it. The couple was great, as were their families! I was even booked for other jobs through this party! So I'm excited to have another creative outlet for myself, as well as to help document the fun and important times in people's lives!

I'm not trying to market myself here - I'm seriously just EXTREMELY excited about this new venture! The blog is also great at letting me hone some of my photography skills, so I have definitely been getting plenty of practice.

The whole point of this post is that I want to know how to do a lot of things... not just one. I want to look back at the end of my life and say, "I tried it all. I might not have been the absolute best, but at least I can say I tried."  I think that's the way we should all live... try everything you want to try, at least once! You never know what can come from it.

Anyway, here are a couple of shots to enjoy!

Lover's Locks on the Ponte Vecchio, Florence, Italy

Water flowing

Two of my favorite girls. :)

Spanish Food. Need I say more? 

Gaudi-inspired bull in Barcelona, Spain


Xoxo,

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment