Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day... Chocolate Truffles

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!  What are your plans for tonight? I WAS going to cook for Eddie, but on Friday I found out that I have to attend a funeral for a childhood friend today, and I spent the whole rest of the weekend in the kitchen, so we decided to make reservations at a yummy steak house near our home. As much as I enjoy being in my kitchen, I really needed a break for today.

What's Valentine's Day without some chocolate?
This past weekend was a marathon in the kitchen. I cleaned up on Saturday, and Sunday it was a mess AGAIN. But of all the things I made this weekend, these might just be my favorite. I never thought they'd be this easy to make... goodness gracious. They were a little messy, but so worth it in the end. They are delicious, and they literally just melt in your mouth.
I rolled them in cocoa powder AND confectioner's sugar, which made them taste amazing - the sugar gave them a little sweetness, but it wasn't overpowering. You can flavor them with any kind of liquer you have on hand or like. I wanted to do Amaretto (my absolute favorite), but didn't have any on hand, so I went with the Grand Marnier. I only used a little bit, and it gave it a nice hint of orange.
Again, these were a great, fairly easy thing to make. While they chilled, I was able to do several other things.  I definitely recommend making them to keep on hand if you know you are going to have people over, or you can make them as gifts - wrap up a few of them and you have a delicious homemade gift!


Chocolate Truffles
Yield: about 25 truffles

Ingredients
8 oz dark chocolate, finely chopped
1/2 cup heavy cream
Grand Marnier or liquer of choice (optional, to taste)
Unsweetened cocoa powder, for rolling
Confectioner's sugar, for rolling





Directions
Place chopped chocolate in a bowl. Heat heavy cream and Grand Marnier to just boiling in a small saucepan.
Pour cream over the chocolate. Let stand for a minute or two, so chocolate melts. Whisk until completely smooth. Refrigerate for 1 hour, or until chocolate hardens (I actually put the chocolate into the freezer for about 45 minutes.
When chocolate has hardened, scoop out using a teaspoon, melon baller, small ice cream scoop, or other rounded tool (I used a 1/2 teaspoon measuring spoon that was rounded). Roll in cocoa powder and sugar until fully coated. Dust off excess.
I kept them in the fridge - they taste so good when they are cold. :)

As always, Enjoy!

xoxo,
Jen 

No comments:

Post a Comment