Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms

Well I hadn't posted in a few days, but I hadn't really cooked much since my last post - we had a very busy President's Day weekend.
Some of the highlights:

Farmer's Market - where I purchased several of the fresh ingredients that are used in today's post! Yum!
Boat Show - we went to see the huge yachts and really enjoyed ourselves and pretending we could afford yachts that were over 100 feet long.
Coconut Grove Arts Festival - Lots of delicious food and drinks, and some pretty good art, too. ;)
Movies - "Just Go With It" Super cute, super funny movie. Eddie and I were in stitches the whole time!  Definitely recommend the movie - the kids in the film might actually be my favorite part, they were too adorable!

At the Arts Festival

At the Boat Show


On to the food... as I mentioned earlier, we went to the Farmer's Market and bought a few fresh ingredients for the week. One of the things I've really been wanting to make is stuffed Portobello mushrooms, so I made sure we bought some mushrooms.

The recipe packs a very flavorful punch and was pretty easy to make (I feel like I say that about all my recipes. lol).  The original recipe was for the mushrooms to be grilled, but I didn't really feel like grilling anything, so I went with this way.  I liked this meal a lot - it is very light (the original recipe says it is 216 calories per serving!), so after a weekend of stuffing my face with anything and everything you can imagine, this was a great light meal to have at the beginning of the week. And again, it was very flavorful - the cheese and oregano give it a great taste.

Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms



Ingredients
2 portobello mushroom caps
2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
1 garlic clove, minced
1 small onion, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
1 cup bagged baby spinach leaves
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup Italian-seasoned panko
1 1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Directions
Remove brown gills from undersides of mushrooms using a spoon; discard gills. Set mushroom caps aside.

Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushroom caps, garlic, and onion; saute 2 minutes. Remove mushroom caps from heat. Add oregano and spinach to skillet; saute until spinach wilts.

Transfer spinach mixture to a medium bowl; stir in remaining 1 teaspoon oil, cheese, panko, vinegar, and pepper. Divide evenly among mushrooms, spooning onto gill sides.

Return mushrooms to skillet, and saute mushrooms with filling for 5-7 minutes.

I served this with asparagus spears, which I also sauteed (in the same skillet), after seasoning with salt, pepper, and paprika.

Enjoy!

Xoxo, 

No comments:

Post a Comment