Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A Little Valentine Something

I want to post these so that anyone who decides that they want to bake something for Valentine's Day has something to go by.

The first time I ever baked from scratch (I had definitely used boxed mixes before), I decided that I was going to make cupcakes. Specifically, red velvet cupcakes.  So I got my researching on, and I decided I was going to follow the recipe from Annie's Eats.
Her stuff always looks so good, and I am constantly finding myself jotting down things I want to try. When she posted the recipe for the red velvet cupcakes, and I decided to stop jotting and immediately get to doing.

I made them, they disappeared. I made a batch for Thanksgiving, and I've made a few more since then, and each time, they disappear more quickly than the last.

The first time, I followed the recipe to perfection, and got rave reviews.  The next time, however, I strayed a little bit from the original recipe - I like my red velvet to be a little more chocolate-ey, and these only had a little bit of cocoa powder, so I added in chocolate chips. I crossed my fingers when I saw people bite into them, and the look on my brother-in-law's face was priceless. He actually apologized to his mother and mine for voting my cupcakes the top dessert of the evening. lol

The cream cheese frosting is amazing - that I follow exactly. (Except I make a little more than the recipe calls for - which Annie tells you to do - because you can never have enough cream cheese frosting).








Red Velvet Cupcakes
Makes 
about 24 cupcakes
Ingredients:
For the cake:
2½ cups cake flour
1½ cups sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tbsp. cocoa powder
½ cup of semi sweet chocolate morsels (I use the mini kind) 
1 tsp. salt
2 large eggs
1½ cups vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk
2 tbsp. (1 oz.) liquid red food coloring
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. distilled white vinegar

For the frosting:*
8 oz. cream cheese
5 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2½ cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350° F.  Line cupcake pans with paper liners.  In a medium bowl, combine the cake flour, sugar, baking soda, cocoa powder and salt; whisk to blend.  In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the eggs, vegetable oil, buttermilk, food coloring, vanilla and vinegar.  Beat on medium speed until well blended.  Mix in the dry ingredients on low speed and beat until smooth, about 2 minutes.
Divide the batter evenly between the prepared liners.  Bake, rotating the pans halfway through baking, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 18 minutes.  Let cool in the pans 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
To make the frosting, combine the cream cheese and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer.  Beat on medium-high speed until well combined and smooth, about 2-3 minutes.  Mix in the vanilla extract.  Gradually beat in the confectioners’ sugar until totally incorporated, increase the speed and then beat until smooth.  Frost cooled cupcakes as desired.

Recipe adapted from: Annie's Eats.

1 comment: